Merchants Insurance Group
We are a property and casualty insurance company founded in Buffalo, New York in 1918. Employing more than 300 people throughout the Northeast, Merchants Insurance Group is headquartered in Buffalo, New York and has regional operations throughout the Northeast and North Central United States. We offer a competitive salary, bonus potential and an attractive benefits package including health, dental, vision and 401(k). Merchants values the professional growth of our colleagues, and we give partial to full reimbursement for successful completion of job-related coursework. Our commitment to our colleagues, agents and policyholders extends outward, as we provide a variety of volunteer opportunities for our colleagues to help the communities in which we do business.
President/CEO: Robert M. Zak
Type of business: Property and Casualty Insurance
Current work force: 306
Clients: Since we write directly through our independent agents, our clients are ouragents and policyholders.
Professional affiliations: IIANY, Independent Insurance Agents of New York; PIA, Professional Insurance Agents; NAMIC,National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies; NYIA,
New York Insurance Association.
Vision: To provide a pledge of financial protection from accidental loss that instills peace of mind and enables our customers to pursue their dreams.
Company mission: Our business exists for the benefit of several groups of people. Our success depends on adding value to
Our Policyholders by:
• Providing professional informative communication.
• Processing transactions in a timely, accurate manner.
• Handling claims fairly and promptly, keeping our customers informed throughout the process.
Our Agents by:
• Providing competitive products and services.
• Providing easy access to information.
• Being responsive.
Our Colleagues by:
• Providing a positive, challenging and rewarding work environment, with opportunities for personal and professional growth.
• Recognizing and rewarding outstanding individual and team accomplishments.
• Encouraging initiative and innovation.
Our Community by:
• Encouraging and supporting volunteerism by our colleagues.
• Promoting safety and loss prevention in the community.
• Sponsoring and participating in charitable and civic organizations.
Our Stakeholders by:
• Achieving long-term financial results that exceed their expectations.
Corporate culture: Dedicated, friendly environment; business casual dress
Higher education tuition assistance: Yes – up to $12,000 based upon final grade.
Community involvement: Through Merchants Insurance Group’s Colleague’s in Action committee, monthly donations are made to local charities through colleague dress down donations. We also support the United Way and hold 3-4 blood drives per year for UNYTS.
Employee benefits: We offer a competitive salary, bonus potential and an attractive benefits package including health, dental, vision and 401(k).
Types of positions: Information Technology, Claims, Underwriting, Product Development, Actuarial, Accounting.
Internships: Internship programs are available.