Supervisor: Board of Trustees
Position Start Date: August 1, 2023
Salary: $60,000 plus Benefits
Location: Buffalo, NY, 14203
Description: The Irish Classical Theatre Company (ICTC) seeks an Artistic Director to lead our team, working closely with the Producing Director and staff, board, and supporters to advance the Company’s mission. This role will be best suited to a creative, committed, and flexible artistic professional with experience in theater production and community engagement.
About ICTC: The Irish Classical Theatre Company (ICTC) is a performing arts theatre located in Buffalo, NY. It presents outstanding productions at The Andrews Theatre, Western New York’s only true theatre-in-the-round. In this intimate setting, the audience is never more than 12 feet from the stage. ICTC is a 501(c)3 non-profit professional theatre. www.irishclassical.com
ICTC’s Mission: To present the greatest works of dramatic literature: Irish plays, both traditional and contemporary, International classics, and modern plays of exceptional merit. To produce them at the highest level of artistic excellence. To offer them to the public of Buffalo, Western New York, and Southern Ontario, and subsequently, for national and international audiences.
ICTC’s History: In 1985, two Dublin-born brothers, Vincent and Chris O’Neill, internationally acclaimed actors, and former members of Ireland’s celebrated Abbey Theatre, found themselves in Buffalo, performing Samuel Beckett’s Waiting for Godot in the dining room of a local hotel. They were enthusiastically embraced by Western New York audiences and critics, and together with fellow Dubliners Josephine Hogan and the late Dr. James Warde, formed the Irish Classical Theatre Company. Performing on various rented stages until a permanent home was established at the Calumet Arts Café, ICTC became the fastest growing theatre in the region and led to the building of its new home, The Andrews Theatre, which opened its doors in January of 1999. Now entering its 33rd Season, ICTC continues to celebrate its strong Irish roots through its choice of repertoire, and by bringing special guest directors, playwrights, and actors to Western New York to work and to be honored.
Artistic Director Job Summary:
The Artistic Director creates and articulates a vision which fulfills the artistic mission of the Irish Classical Theatre Company (“Company”) and provides leadership in establishing and maintaining professional artistic standards in all areas of production. The Artistic Director is responsible for all artistic planning and productions, as well as IDEA audience-centered outreach and programming. In addition, the Artistic Director is responsible for theatre management and oversight. The Artistic Director serves as the leader of the Company’s artistic, production and technical staff and assists them in achieving the artistic vision of each production. The Artistic Director also supports the Company’s fundraising and development activities through comprehensive oversight of planning, development, management, and execution of all fundraising activities. This includes increasing contributed revenue in the areas of annual and major giving. The position is also responsible for supporting the growth of the endowment through the cultivation and perpetuation of planned and major giving. The Artistic Director will be responsible for other duties as assigned by the Board of Trustees.
Responsibilities & Competencies:
The responsibilities and competencies listed below are representative, and may shift as needed to align with ICTC’s priorities and vision.
- Selects all plays and programming for each season in consultation with artistic staff.
- Selects directors for each production, and supervises auditions and casting in consultation with the individual director of each production.
- Oversees selection of design teams in collaboration with Producing Director and Production Manager.
- Explores, identifies, and develops artistic and collaborative relationships with other theatre companies and artistic institutions to create innovative performance opportunities and connections, both regionally and internationally, as well as community engagement through the lens of IDEA.
- Serves as principal liaison between the Board of Trustees and the Company’s staff.
- Serves as a spokesperson for the Company via speaking engagements, social appearances, fundraising events, solicitations, and for marketing and PR purposes.
- Oversees and supports the Development Program by, among other items, cultivating prospective donors through solicitation meetings and donor events.
- Execute Strategic Plan for Company.
- In collaboration with Producing Director, oversees Company/Employee relationships with seven core Staff and ~140 part-time Staff throughout the Season.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre from an accredited institution.
- Significant practical experience in some or all of the following areas: directing, acting, artistic direction.
- Significant practical experience in leading a team of employees.
- Creative problem/resolution capacity.
- Advanced literary and language proficiency.
- Exceptional verbal and presentational skills.
- MFA or experiential equivalent.
- Experience in IDEA and Community Outreach and Initiatives.
- Experience in Human Resources.
- Experience with Actors Equity Association Producing requirements.
- Full-time, Year-Round, Salaried, OT Exempt.
- Daytime schedule with additional night and weekend availability required.
- $60,000 annually.
- Employer-provided Health Insurance.
- Non-matching 401(k) plan after one year.
- 10 vacation days, 5 sick days, 3 personal days, 2 floating holidays, 8 paid holidays.
- This position is in-person in Buffalo, NY.
- Desired Start Date: August 1, 2023.
For full consideration, the candidate’s materials should be received by 11:59pm EST on June 25, 2023. However, the application will remain open until the position is filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Optimally, the new hire will start August 1, 2023, but this can also be flexible for the right candidate.
Please email a cover letter, CV, and two professional references to email@example.com. Subject line should read: Attn: AD Search.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Irish Classical Theatre Company provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.